Father's Day

I would like to say a big thank you to my children and to my wife for a lovely father's day.

It started early this morning with a deluge of gifts, making it feel more like my birthday. Included were some homemade cards and some Kinder chocolate.

I have always been a bit partial to a spot of Kinder. You used to be only able to get hold of it on the continent and it was what I liked to bring back from those trips to France; now you can buy it in every supermarket. I still love it though and don't often buy it but my family know that this is a chocolate of choice for special occasions and when on holiday in Europe!

Father's day was first celebrated in the USA in 1910 and it is thought that celebrations in the UK were inspired by that. Some people believe that Father's day is linked somehow to pagan worship of the Sun and it may not be a coincidence that it occurs close to the Summer solstice. Father's day is always celebrated on the third Sunday in June.

I visited a well known high street card store to purchase a card for my Dad and was overwhelmed by the choice. Most of which were inappropriate, suggesting that my Dad might spend all his time playing golf, drinking alcohol, moaning or falling asleep in the afternoon in his favourite armchair; only one of those is correct!! It is tricky to find the right card, I hope I did. My children did.

One of the gifts I received today was the Hairy Bikers Baking Book and to might delight the book contains a recipe for everyone's old favourite, Black Forest Gateau.

As a wise woman said, "You can't go wrong with cherries, chocolate and cream."

She was right. Delicious!!!!!

Anyone want a slice?

Happy Fathers Day everyone.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I would reply if I could turn on the damn computer !!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

Are you are crunchy nut?