Life thru a lens

I have to admit that I love my phone. I use it quite a bit for a variety of different things. In fact I would be quite lost without it. However what I won't do is use it to watch a live event that I am physically at.

Let me clarify what I mean by that statement.

Have you been to a big sporting occasion recently? Perhaps a gig or a parade? Or like me tonight your child's Christmas concert? You may have noticed that many people like to video what they are watching. Tonight there were many parents who were standing or holding their phones high in the air to capture their little darlings performance.


http://planetgreen.discovery.com/imported/nav-techtransport/2009-08/cell-concert.jpg


Of course this behaviour means that the whole event is actually watched recreated on a LCD screen even though the live action is happening right there, right then. The argument is that the performance is being digitally recorded for posterity, but it would be my guess that in fact the recording will be grainy, out of focus and the child in question will only just be visible behind a sea of faces and other parents hands and mobile phones.

I was sitting behind a woman today who spent the whole of her son's performance snapping photographs with her mobile phone. I could see the photos she was taking, each one without fail was blurred and the child on it was hardly recognisable.

I would much rather hold the memory of the real thing in my mind, seen properly through my own eyes. Wouldn't you?

 

Comments

  1. Are they allowed to take photos and film....even back in my day you had to have permission for this?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?