Black Smoke

115 men all under the age of 80 are now locked inside the Sistine Chapel undertaking one of the most important ceremonies of the Catholic Church.
They are of course the Cardinal-Electors who at about 3.30 this afternoon entered the chapel and with the shout 'Extra omnes' meaning everyone out and with that the chapel doors were closed and locked.

All 115 cardinals will now remain locked away until the new Pope is voted in with a majority of two thirds plus one.

Four votes a day will take place until this majority is reached. After each vote smoke is released to the crowd outside to keep them informed.

Black smoke means that no consensus has been reached. White smoke means that the new pope has been elected.

I'm not a catholic but I think this is all quite exciting. I wonder what really happens behind those closed doors. Is it all about the cardinals doing deals, forming alliances to elect their favourite? What would it feel like to be one of the favourites? Would you solicit support? Or would this be against the rules?

I wonder if its gets heated or if the atmosphere remains calm and godlike.

Does anyone get drunk? What happens if white smoke is released by mistake?

As I said all very exciting. Apparently betting on the new pope is a mugs game but I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that Cardinal Joao Braz de Aviz might win through.

One thing I have definitely decided my all this pope electing lark, I love the Swiss Guard uniform.

(Picture - http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=scitech&url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57573639/vatican-smoke-signals-the-science-behind-the-smoke/&catid=57573639)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?