Should have gone to...

My life changed when I was about five. If my memory serves me correctly at the dinner table my Dad was casually holding his knife up in front of my face. Not to cut me or threaten me you must understand, no probably just waving it around. I thought I could see two knives and stated that. He was worried that I had double vision and after some waving of various pens in front of my eyes, an appointment was made at the local hospital.

http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/assets/0907/0000/0118/img_5907_mid.jpg

A few weeks later after a visit to the optician I was the lucky owner of a pair of 1970s brown NHS glasses. These were not a fashion accessory. These were not cool. These were not something to be proud of. That appointment started my 36 year relationship with correcting lenses.

As a kid the worst thing you pull do was to bust your glasses, this caused expense to your parents, which meant being told off but much worse it meant quite possibility having to endure school whilst wearing glasses held together with Sellotape.

Since the 1970s glasses have become much more acceptable; even a fashion icon. Designer labelled glasses are common and many people wear them even if they don't need to; the lenses in the frames just being plain glass.

I have trouble buying glasses because apparently my face is too narrow. This means I need a small frame size, otherwise the specs make my face look too big. Not so for some people. It really is remarkable how some pairs of glasses really suit people. Glasses that work seem to match or even enhance someones personality.

For me my glasses have become part of me. The first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night. Without them I can't drive or even see clearly across a room. Without my glasses I would be a bit helpless. Maybe its time to invest in a new pair?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

Are you are crunchy nut?