Ed Returns

I first started blogging to set myself a challenge. That challenge was to see if I could write an entry every single day for one whole year. It really was a challenge. To think of something interesting to write about, or perhaps moan about, every 24 hours was quite something and even I have to admit that most of my entries were quite pedestrian.

However, interesting or not, I was quite close to completing my own personal goal and my blog was beginning to get a few followers. I received comments from people that I knew that they liked reading what I had to write; I even think some of those comments, well a few, were actually genuine.

But events that I could not have predicted in my life when I started my challenge overwhelmed me and I had to put the writing aside.

Now, after a number of comments, I have decided that the blog should be resurrected. Ed is returning. Perhaps not every day but frequently enough to warrant a look in and a huzzah from Ed's followers.

I made this decision the other day when I was returning from a trip north and was travelling down the motorway. Isn't it strange that when we travel south in Britain we talk about travelling 'down' the country, and then the other way we say 'up North' - any way I digress.

Whilst I was driving along the motorway and I came across the chevrons. You may have noticed, 'the chevrons', they are proceeded by a sign which informs you to Check your distance, keep two chevrons apart.

http://www.roberthempsall.co.uk/blogimages/keep-apart-2-chevrons-road-sign.jpg

I like this game. I think its fun. As I see the sign I try to gauge the distance from the car in front of me so that when I hit the chevrons I am already at the correct distance. It's then a matter of careful speed control to ensure that the two chevron distance is maintained. To many this may sound a little sad but I also know there will be a number of you out there that like a little game of 2 chevrons.

The chevrons are no game really, they are there to indicate a safe braking distance when travelling between 60 and 70mph. They are there to improve safety. They do not improve the safety of my driving. Before I get to the chevrons I am aware of my surroundings, I check my mirror, look out of the side windows, check my speed etc. But as soon as the chevrons are in sight that is all my attention is focused on. It is as though I have tunnel vision. The chevron game consumes me. My eyes don't leave the back of the car in front.

And just as I get successful at the chevron game and the gap between me and the car in front is perfect a git changes lane and reduces my chevron gap to one or less. If I'm not paying attention this could easily cause me to slam on the anchors perhaps resulting in a near accident as the gap behind me is considerably reduced.

Saying all of that, the chevron game makes driving on the motorway more interesting. I think that the highways agency should come up with some other motorway 'games' to keep everyone amused. I have some suggestions;

  • Red car, blue car - only this colour car is allowed in the 'fast lane' for the next three miles.
  • Convertible - between certain services all convertibles have to have their roofs down.
  • TV ban - between a set part of the motorway all DVD players have to be switched off.
  • Joke signs - motorway signs should be used to display jokes when stuck in traffic. This would be preferable to a sign telling me that driving under the influence of drugs risks lives. Thanks for that. Instead of telling me something I know why not tell me how long the queue of traffic is. Or better still tell me some jokes.

I just think these games would add interest to our motorways and make driving on them more fun.

What would make it more fun would be if I owned an Aston Martin that I could drive down the motorway, oh well, one day.

 

Comments

  1. ABSOLUTELY agree chevron game is a must and other motorway games would be awesome to improve my concentration on a long boring journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back Ed...will look forward to reading your posts!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?