Senior Moment

Uh oh, I think I really am middle aged. I had an extraordinary senior moment today that might signify I am moving into the second era of my life. For those who are not in the know a senior moment is an example where a persons mind goes a little blank: for instance they may walk into a room and forget why they walked in; they may lose their keys and then find them in their pocket; they may continually mix up their children's names.

The above are all good examples and I guess everyone has their odd little senior moment but as you get older they become more frequent...

Today I had to go into London. When I left to catch the train home I had to rush to make my train. I got to the barriers at the station and put my ticket in. The machine spat it back out at me in indignation, apparently I was to "Seek Assistance". I did what any normal person would do, I put it into the machine again. Again it spat it back out at me, the screen displaying he message. I wiped the magnetic strip and tried for a third time, an annoyed huff audible from the person behind. Again the same result.

 

http://ksj.mit.edu/sites/default/files/images/tracker/2008/seniormoment.jpg


No good, it was time to talk with the ticket persons. I approached a gaggle of them and interrupted their conversation. "Excuse me", I said, "my ticket is not working." I was expecting them to reply that I had an off peak ticket and that I was now travelling in peak time. The guys looked at me and in unison all replied, "That's your outbound ticket mate, you need your return ticket."

What a muppet. I tell you it was like travelling on a train with the Chuckle Brothers. I picked up my dignity and thanked them, I could tell they were thinking I was a bit simple. I inserted my return ticket and walked through the barrier, without looking back, casually to the train...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?