Hair today gone tomorrow

Getting your haircut is something that I believe generally divides the genders. For most men of a certain age getting a haircut involves some clippers (No. 3 for instance), then a little tidy up with the scissors a decision about whether the back should be tapered or squared and you are done.

But for women it is a whole lot more complicated. Women often have their own hairdresser, they know this person by name and they are not actually hairdressers but instead stylists. As they enter the salon there are a few things that happen before they get to the aforementioned stylist. First it is important that the hair is washed and conditioned before any cutting can take place. Following the wash comes a cup of coffee and a glossy magazine and a warm towel.

Now, come the important decisions, will the hair need a dye applied, highlights, lowlights etc? What style? Layered. Above the shoulders. Curled under. Sometimes the customer has come prepared with a picture of some Hollywood celebrity and requests the same.
Once the cutting starts, this is not a simple process, it involves three types of scissors, combs, brushes, fancy hair grips and futuristic looking hair dryers with alien-like attachments. The stylist even has a bag around their waist to carry all their paraphernalia.

Then the application of products, this is all important as the products are essential to the style and therefore it is required that the customer leaves the salon with bottles of it to maintain their look at home.

Finally comes the payment, probably £60 just for the cut and blowdry let alone any other treatments and the bags of salon products! It's worth it though the cut looks great, the stylist has done a super job.

Then comes the rub, at some stage the haircut has to go to bed, get brushed and even be washed, as hard as is tried even using the expensive products the salon look is never achieved at home.

I had my haircut yesterday, no booking required. I walked in and sat down in the barbers chair immediately. I had a No. 3 blended in with a bit off the top, total price £7.50. The guys in the salon knew my name and remembered my occupation and even seemed interested in my day.

Now, don't get me wrong i'm not saying its better there are things I have to deal with for such a cheap price. Firstly the guy cutting my hair is about 17, he's a trainee and when I've been in before he has simply taken my coat and shown me to my place. I have never seen him cut hair before. However anyone can use clippers can't they? And I note that he can spin the scissors around his thumb in quite a cool way. Then there is the tattoo parlour behind me, at least there was no screaming.


As we settle down into the cut the inevitable question is asked, "How much do you want off the top?". He is standing there pulling my hair straight showing me in the mirror. I have a problem, I have taken my glasses off and the reflection is just a blur, I reply with a noncommittal, "Whatever you think."


As he cuts he talks, the conversation twists and turns, then he drops a bombshell, he has ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES. I sit there finding myself agreeing with everything he says; acutely aware that he is holding a pair of super sharp 3 inch scissors.

When he finishes, he shows me his handy work with the mirror, I can't see a thing, I just about recognise that I'm looking at the back of my head, I smile and congratulate him on a job well done. He is pleased, I am unharmed - its all good.

Today I interacted with over 150 people, no one commented on my haircut. Maybe I should make an appointment to go to a proper salon in 6 weeks...

 

Comments

  1. Dear Ed
    I am surprised that for a gentleman you profess to be so
    Knowledgeable about ladies stylists. As a lady I am irritated by the inflated prices we have to pay at a salon whilst a man having his hair styled pays less than half price. One of the nicest parts is the head massage, which is usually so good it makes one quite sleepy and maybe you made the mistake as your glasses had been removed but colours are always applied prior to the hairwash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, obviously I am not as knowledgable as I thought as I did not know about the head massage, this sounds good. As for the colour, I would have expected for the price that th hair wash occurred before and after colour is applied.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?