Adult Films?

I think that there has been a major revolution in children's films. It began with the awesome Pixar studios and the release of Toy Story. Their genius idea was to make films for children that adults would want to watch too. Not only are the story lines engaging and in some cases very moving - consider the opening scenes of the film Up or indeed the last few minutes of Toy Story 3, I cried- they are also filled with references to other more grown up films or contain adult jokes hidden away in the dialogue.

The cinema (http://www.frontroomcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/c3.jpg)

I went to the cinema today to see Ice Age 4 - Continental Drift. Too be honest I wasn't expecting very much. The three ice age films that came before it have not been my favourites of the genre but I joined the family and settled down to a box of shared popcorn obediently donning my 3D glasses when the screen told me so that I wouldn't miss the advert where a cartoon polar bear jumps on some toilet paper.

With all kids films the trailers are not really anything to write home about. Being 'related to the feature presentation' there would be no trailers for Spiderman or Prometheus or The Dark Night, instead it was "Diary of a Wimpy Kid goes on Summer Vacation", sounds hilarious!!! (hopefully you picked up my sarcastic tone). If you are interested watch it here on YouTube http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEP7HcLwgkQE&v=EP7HcLwgkQE&gl=GB

Then a trailer appeared for Madagascar 3. The continuation of a run of films starring four african animals who, having escaped from the zoo in New York, ended up on the island of Madagascar. To be honest watching the trailer piqued by interest I actually want to see the film, if only for the penguins and King Julian.

Ice Age 4 (http://www.scenereleases.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/111eIce20Age204-400x350.png)

So what about Ice Age 4? Well it wasn't that bad, it followed the usual plot, where the animals get separated and have to cover a journey whilst being pursued by more violent animals but the quality of the animation was excellent and the story was engaging enough. There were some slow motion action shots reminiscent of John Woo's Mission Impossible 2 and a word for word quote from Last of the Mohicans, "You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you." Additionally at one stage a little mammal, going into battle has his face painted blue in homage of Mel Gibson's Braveheart.

So, it wasn't all bad. Not the best film I have ever seen but it was enjoyable enough. At least I didn't fall asleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?