Drive thru's

I have to admit I have never really understood the idea of a drive-thru restaurant. I hate eating in my car, it reminds me of cold and wet holidays on the coast where it is too wet to eat the picnic on the beach so it has to be consumed in the car.

So if I fancy eating a burger the last thing that I want to do is to drive up to a microphone and repeat my order three times to a person in a booth. Then wait in a queue to arrive at another booth to pick up a bag of food and make my payment.

Once my food has arrived what do I do next? Drive home to eat a cold cheeseburger, stodgy chips and a melted milkshake or park up in a designated parking space and eat the meal on my lap resting my drink against the steering wheel?

This is where the idea of a drive-thru makes no sense. Firstly what if my order is wrong and I have driven away? Do I drive all the way back to get it rectified? Secondly each of these establishments have a restaurant attached to them, why not just go in and eat inside, in the warmth, where there is adequate light and where if I drop a chip it's not going to end up being stuck to my clutch pedal.

Today I saw what must be the ultimate in drive-thru restaurants, a drive-thru for a premium range of doughnuts. Ti find this a crazy concept. I have been driving for 23 years and not once have I felt the need to stop and get a tray of doughnuts to consume in my car.

Yet to my surprise as we drove past the exit of this restaurant a car pulled out and in the rear view mirror it was obvious that the passengers of this car where consuming a tray of doughnuts. I still can't imagine going to a restaurant that only sells doughnuts though!!

Comments

  1. Don't forget the diet coke, always an important accompaniment to these type of meals.....why is that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. doughnut drive-thru restaurants are very popular in the USA! They have to be 'cos they are all too big to get through the door to eat inside. And why they have trucks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?