Grown Up Lego

When I was a kid I loved Lego. There is something about the simplicity of the instruction manuals that I find so fantastic. My favourite was space Lego. I had a number of different models and spent ages building and playing with them. The most integral Lego kit that I was given was a mobile crane. This was technical Lego that required a detailed manual. It was very intricate and could be turned into the truck and then the crane deployed etc. I remember taking hours to make it and then a few months later dismantling it. During that time my Dad decided to have a clear out, probably during a decorating session. In the clear out the instruction manual was thrown away. I was never able to make the crane again...28 years later he has never been allowed to forget it.

My son has an awesome Lego model of the Black Pearl, Capt. Jack Sparrow's pirate ship. We made it together and then a few weeks ago it had to be dismantled. He insisted that I remade it, it took me 90 minutes the other evening and I loved it. You are never too old for Lego.

Making flat packed furniture is just the same as making Lego. First you have the packs with all the pieces. Some are easy to recognise, some more difficult. It is important that you have to identify all the pieces, arrange them and lay them all out so when you are ready to build you can easily find all the pieces.

Today I had a flat packed bed to build. I have made a lot of different furniture before but never a double bed. It was a challenge to get it home from the warehouse. In fact the mattress wouldn't fit into the car and had to be delivered this morning.

I cleared the space in the room and started to unpack. Using the instruction manual I checked and arranged all the screws, dowels and nuts. Luckily they were all present and correct so the building could begin.

This is where the grown up Lego project begins. The instruction manual is just the same. There are no written explanations, just pictures showing the parts required and how they go together. I worked through the instructions without incident, and with help from the family. Before we knew it the project was complete. I have to admit that I felt a twinge of disappointment that I had nothing else to build. I might need a trip to the toy shop.

Here is a picture of our new spare bed. Who wants to try it out?

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?