Life in a box

The removal men came today to pack up all our worldly possessions. They arrived early in the morning and as tradition dictates I put on the kettle and made a brew. Now these guys are removal men, not builders so although they preferred their tea strong none of them wanted sugar. The chocolate digestives were a good buy though and helped smooth customer relations.
I wasn't really sure of my role in the day. The guys were tasked with packing and after their early cuppa they disappeared into different rooms and started to wrap and pack. I decided to retire to the garden and empty the shed. Not the nicest job as I sorted through spiders webs and old garden toys. I had the sense that I could smell rodent urine on everything but I later discovered that it was a bottle of cat deterrent that had spilt all over the bottom of the shed (come to think of it that would have been better for the mice).

I returned inside to find boxes and some emptied kitchen cupboards, but the removal men were nowhere to be seen. I went to get something from my car and found all three of them in the lorry drinking tea, smoking and eating the digestives. They hadn't even thought to make me a cup - gits!

After that I decided that I was paying them and wouldn't help out so I sat on the back step and read a book on my phone, determined not to make them any more tea. When lunchtime came along they told me that they were off. They came back with lunch, again none for me, I thought this to be very inconsiderate.

Later in the day I took a walk around the house to survey the boxes. One of the removal men seemed marooned in an upstairs bedroom in a sea of boxes. I felt sorry for him and before I could stop myself I offered a cup of tea. He accepted and I cued another fag break, damn.

Saying all of this they did a great job, our possessions steadily ended up in boxes and, those boxes ended up on a lorry. Tomorrow they will be unloaded again and then the unpacking begins.

I better put the kettle on...

Comments

  1. I had a real urge to hide in one of those big boxes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you're posh - packing and unpacking done for you! Last time we moved I had to do a lot of both and we only finished he last box at the end of July - nearly 3 years after we moved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packing yes, unpacking no -we have to do that.

      Delete
  3. I believe there is a box in our loft which still hasn't been unpacked, and we moved 42 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe there is a box in our loft which still hasn't been unpacked, and we moved 42 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe there is a box in our loft which still hasn't been unpacked, and we moved 42 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?