And a survey of 1000 people says...

I might have to change the strap line of my blog as according to a new survey commissioned by an online learning website middle age doesn't start until 55. Now, if I take that as an age then I still have 14 and a half years before I can even start to consider middle age musings.

I actually struggle to accept 55 as middle aged as that would suggest that the average age of death would be 110. I still believe that the mean human life span is about 80 making 40 mid life, or indeed middle aged.

When you look a little more at this survey it was undertaken by people over 50, some of which may have been a little reticent to admit to being middle aged. It appears that many people see middle age as a bad thing.

I wholeheartedly don't. I see middle age as a badge of honour, a new chapter, perhaps affording respect and gravitas, an excuse for my greying beard. Being middle aged doesn't mean that I have to act old or over the hill but it might afford me an excuse for not knowing the current music, poor sporting process and dad dancing. In this way surely middle age is good.

As one listener on Radio 4's PM programme said tonight, being middle aged allows one to slip a pair of glasses on the end of one's nose whilst squinting and wrinkling the nose, reading the price of item in the supermarket, inhaling sharply and complaining loudly about the price.

Sounds like fun, I'm off to the supermarket tomorrow.

Comments

  1. See the news article here,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19622330

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?