At least eight letters long...

One of the problems about becoming middle aged is having to remember all those pieces of information that plague modern life. They are seemingly insignificant but are also a major part of ones life. One prime example is bin day. I have to put the bins out the night before just in case the waste management employees arrive early in the morning.

Firstly I have to remember which night to put them out and secondly which bins are due for collection on that particular week. Thankfully I have very efficient neighbours and all I need is to take a little look down the street, very helpful.

There are things that we don't need to remember anymore. Once very important but now locked away in the memory chip of my mobile device, the phone numbers. When I was younger the phone number was an important thing to know. http://andysworld.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/browncompostbin.jpg

If out and about you needed to be able to walk into a red telephone box and remember their number. It was just what you did. Now these numbers are remembered my my phone, I don't even know my wife's mobile number, but my phone does...

However replacing the telephone numbers are computer passwords. Internet shopping sites, online banking, paying energy companies, grocery stores, XBox profiles, credit card authentication, iTunes, online email accounts, the list goes on. All these sites require a password and this is where my problem lies.

http://www.english-blogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/red-phone-box.jpg

It would be good to use the same password everywhere, but that makes me wary and apparently is bad password protocol. It is also advised that you do not use anything that is too personal, for instance, your birthday, the name of your love, your address. This is a problem because all of these things would actually be quite easy to remember but instead I have to choose some made up password which I have no hope in hell of recalling.

The password that gives me the most amount of trouble is that of my credit cards. I've finally remembered to reset my password for the pizza company, worked through the choices, ordered, agreed the terms and conditions (I have never read them) and then finally reach the payment card.

Then the card confirmation screen pops up and it asks for letters 4, 6 and 9 from my password. Bear in mind that I had been forced to make up a password including a least one capital letter and one number. I scratch my head, pull at my hair a little and enter what I conclude are the correct characters.

No, they are wrong. My password is incorrect. I try again, being careful to ensure I type correctly. Rejected again. I'm starting to doubt my password now. I try once more and I am pushed to another screen. This one reads,

"obviously you are middle aged and have trouble remembering passwords, it is now time to enter a new one but not after you have added loads of other information"

I enter the sort code, my date of birth, my post code, the three figures on the back of the card and finally I get to enter a new password.


I type my new password, then type again to confirm and press send.

A new message pops up...

"You numpty, you have used this password before!!!!"

Damn. I give up.

Comments

  1. Oh so very very true, now did I put the number before the word or after it? I even have two email addresses and sometimes there is confusion over the username especially if it is the email address. Have I got the p/w wrong or is it the username.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?