Hello, my name is Dawn, how can I be of help?

I have noticed over the last couple of years that everyone in the service industry seems desperate for you to know their name. In nearly every shop on the high street the shop assistants have a name tag.

If I go into a chain restaurant I will definitely be served by a person sporting their name proudly on their chest. The first time I was aware of name tags was in a well known burger restaurant a very long time ago. Above their name the employees also displayed stars to reveal information about their rank and experience. I might be mistaken but I believe the first star was awarded for successfully mopping the floor.
http://www.davidherrick.net/.a/6a00e5517bef0688340134802846b8970c-800wi

 

I have noticed that now when you phone a utility company the person on the other end of the phone introduces themselves before kindly telling you that they would like to help. I guess this is only fair as moments before I have told him or her, my name, date of birth, full address, mothers maiden name, my favourite food and my memorable date, all I really wanted to do was provide my electricity meter reading!

I few months ago I started a little game. I decided that when possible I would use the persons name to interact with them. It is actually more fun than I thought I would be. Today for instance I was served by Luke in the local grocery store. He gave me 52p back in change. Upon taking the change from his hand I said, "Thanks Luke, have a nice evening?" He gave me a strange look as if to say, "How the hell does that geezer know who I am?"

Valerie in the local post office looked utterly bamboozled when I asked her for stamps and I could literally see the waiter in the pub at the weekend trying to work out where we had met before.

My next challenge is to go up to a shop assistant in say a DIY store and address them by their name something like, "Morning Eddie, I wonder if you can help me?"

Why not have a go yourself. It will make the world run more smoothly.

 

Comments

  1. Fabulous idea, will have a try tomorrow.. Car needs petrol so I can do it bright and early!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?