Let the wookie win...

In the original Star Wars film, now titled Episode 4, A New Hope, R2-D2 is playing a game with the Wookie Chewbacca. The game appears to be some kind of battle chess. R2-D2 makes a move and one of Chewbacca's pieces is taken out of the game. Chewbacca roars in annoyance and this prompts Han Solo to suggest that it is not wise to upset a Wookie as when they lose they are likely to pull arms from sockets. C3-PO then suggests to R2-D2 that he should let the Wookie win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6M4ngKRp

I had cause to consider this scene today as I played ten pin bowling with my children. Obviously I am not concerned that they might pull my arms out of my sockets, no not at all. However, I was faced with the age old father children condundrum. Do I play to win or do I provide some sort of competition my throwing the game? It's obviously not good to lose all the time, it leaves its mark, see here. On the other hand it is important to teach and demonstrate good competition and what it feels like to lose.

So the first game of bowling starts...the kids both have the bumpers and score about 7 pins each. Then it is my go. I select a ball, the perfect weight and finger size, line up and bowl my first ball. It goes straight down the alley and hits the pins in the perfect position...ssssssssstttttrrrrrriiiiikkkkkkeeee. I obviously try not to look to smug, but I have to admit to a punch of the air and a shout of get in.

http://theolympicssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/bowling.jpg


The disappointed looks on my kids face say it all and one provides me with a very unenthusiastic "well done" that is verging on the sarcastic.

In the next frame I line up again and take the shot. The bowl is perfect and another ten pins fall...striiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike. YES two in a row.

It was at this point where I decided that this game was mine and that the kids would have to feel the bitter taste of defeat, in fact the taste of an utter thrashing. My next throw was important. Three strikes in a row is a Turkey. Even the guy next to me (a father too) was willing me to get it.

It's a good bowl. Straight down the middle. The pins fly. When the dust settles, one pin is left standing. Damn...never lucky at sports...

Naturally I win the first game, the kiddywinks didn't stand a chance.

In the second game it is much closer. My son is using the bumpers effectively. His bowling balls are bouncing off and he gets a few spares followed up by a high score on the next bowl. After frame five he is in the lead. He is getting excited. I'm getting concerned. I throw a gutter ball and my daughter actually believes that I am trying to throw the game. I'm not. It was just a bad throw but if she wants to think that then fine.

My miss gets an enthusiastic YES from my son and he follows up with a 9. He is now 13 in the lead. I stand up and bowl. It's a strike. Get in, I'm catching up.

Frame ten and he gets a spare so he is allowed an extra throw. This makes him seven in the lead. I need 8 to win.

I need to win...I had made up my mind that the lesson today would be how to lose graciously.

I throw the first ball. 7 fall and 3 are left. We are joint winners with my one throw left. Still a chance for me tho throw the game and we both go away with our heads held high. No, no, no. It is my duty to win the game...

I bowl the ball. It speeds down the alley and takes out the remaining three pins, a spare!!!!

I WIN!!!

The children take it well. I have to admit that I was not a good winner, in the car I kept singing about it all the way home.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?