My names Bond, James Bond.

This week sees the international release of the new Bond film, Skyfall. This film, eagerly awaited, is the third to star Daniel Craig as the iconic spy and also the third film since the franchise was rebooted. The mood of the last two movies has been noticeably darker perhaps more truthful to Flemings original stories.

Currently the leading satellite TV provider has a channel dedicated to 007 movies and is running them back to back. I sat down to watch one a few nights ago and was treated to a Roger Moore classic, A View to a Kill. I guess for people my age Roger Moore is our Bond. I grew up watching films such as, Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, Live and Let Die, The Man with a Golden Gun and For Your Eyes Only. I was too young to remember Sean the first time round but of course caught up with those films later in life. For many the comedic nature of some Moore films is a little too much and contrasts to the original Connery series.

http://www.klast.net/bond/images/rm_chair.jpg

Even if Roger Moore is not everyone's favourite Bond one thing he does well is carry off the sexual innuendo. I watch Bond films looking for the innuendo. Here are some exampes;

In A View to a Kill, Bond and a Russian spy are sharing a Jacuzzi bubble bath. 007 gets out to put on some classical music. As he does the woman turns on the bubbles and giggles, she exclaims, "Ooooh the bubbles are tickling my...Tchaikovsky. Obviously a reference to the music playing. This is just classic.

In a Spy Who Loved Me, Bond and another Russian are celebrating dealing with the bad guy drinking champagne in bed. He says, "Can I refill you?.....your glass I mean."

In Octopussy whilst Bond is undressing the lead Bond girl he asks, "what's that?" She replies, "that's my little Octopussy"

Each of these little exchanges allow Roger Moore to demonstrate his greatest acting talent - the raising of his eyebrows.

Of course Bond has always contained these sexual references, often the Bond girls have names that obviously relate to it, for instance; Plenty O'Toole, Onnatopov, Honey Rider, Pussy Galore, Holly Goodhead. All great names which allow the writers some fun.

In my opinion the greatest Bond sexual innuendo is provided by Miss Moneypenny in a Bond film starring Pierce Brosnan. The film begins with a scene where Bond is 'interrogating a beautiful Norwegian woman'. Moneypenny contacts him and asks what he is doing. He replies that he is just 'brushing up on his Norwegian'. To which Moneypenny replies, "You always were a cunning linguist."

I remember watching this film in Guildford Odeon and actually laughing out loud, I think I was the only person smutty enough to notice. The young lad sitting next to me looked at me with a very confused expression on his face. Priceless.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?