PE never one of my strong points and still not it seems...

When I was at school my reports were always glowing. I managed to achieve well in all subjects and always made an effort. However my report was always marred by one subject, PE.

At primary school I was never the best at football and in those days when teams were chosen I would be one of the last standing there willing someone to pick me so I wasn't that kid who the captain is forced to pick last. That kid that the teacher helpfully says, "and that leaves Jimmy on your side Bill". To which Bill mumbles under his breath, "Great, why do we get Jimmy? That means we are going to lose!" Sometimes though I was that Jimmy, and it hurt.

In Year 6 we were given the option to play cricket at the local cricket club or stay at school and join the girls playing soft ball. I never really liked playing cricket. I never really mastered catching and found that the cricket ball hurt and on occasions left black marks on my fingernails, bruises, and a nasty stinging pain that left by thumb numb for the following couple of days.

I stayed and played softball. I found I was quite a good pitcher and I got to spend those summery Wednesday afternoons playing with the girls. Much better than the potentially crippling cricket.

On moving up to secondary school I discovered the hideous game of rugby. Why people enjoy a game where you just get jumped on my what seems like hundreds of people squishing you tightly into a water logged muddy field I really have no idea. I quickly understood war appeared to be the main objective of the game - take out the boy with the ball. I found that if someone threw me the ball it was best to ignore it, fumble it or if caught get rid of it as soon as possible. In that way bundling in the mud was usually avoided.

http://rugbycoachblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/rugby-mud.jpg%3Fw%3D420%26h%3D313

My potentially greatest PE moment was afforded to me in the school gym one afternoon whilst playing basketball. I had possession, standing on the halfway line. For some reason still unknown to be I decided to shoot for the hoop. It was like the world slowed as the ball travelled in a perfect line at the perfect height. It flew through the air perfectly on target and slammed against the back board. It bounced off and hit the rim of the hoop. It then travelled around the rim about 5 times and then flew out. If only. Of course the PE teacher told me that I should have passed the ball to a player in a better position. So close but a typical example of my PE prowess.

Today at work saw a staff mixed doubles tournament. A chance for me to redeem myself 25 years on from leaving school.

Knocked out in the first round...nothing changes.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?