When Halloween Was Scary

It's funny how when you are a kid things are scary.
I remember one Halloween walking down the road in the afternoon (it wasn't even dark) to post a letter for my Mum. I was probably about 10 or 11. As I walked down the road I heard the loudest pantomime villain laugh. I looked around and could see no none. It then happened again and to say I was unnerved is an understatement. I was properly scared. I quickly turned on my heels and sprinted home.
At that age lots of things are scary. I used to quite like being scared. My father used to video the Hammer House of Horror shows that were shown on a Saturday night and my brother and I used to watch them Sunday mornings. I remember one which involved a porcelain doll. The doll was found in a large country house and throughout the film caused numerous instances of terror and death. At the end the couple flee the house and the closing shot shows the doll peeking out of their suitcase. My brother was so scared of this that the sheer mention of this story or doll causes him to shake in fear.
The film that did it for me was I believe titled The House That Dripped Blood. This involved a couple who rig their house to pretend it was haunted and at one point the pipes vibrate and blood sprayed from them all over a kids birthday party. This may be the cause of my aversion to blood. It definitely gave me nightmares.
Nowadays these things don't scare me at all. Now I am older Halloween doesn't scare me at all. In fact I find it rather tame.
I think I might go and check out the nearest graveyard.

Comments

  1. The blood house programme was actually called. The house that dripped blood and it first aired in 1980 which would have made me 8. No wonder I was scared... http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0220543/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean The House That Bled to Death. Forgive me it's early

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?