Hands Off Brown Willy

Have you ever been to Bodmin Moor? This expanse of moorland in Cornwall is currently causing some controversy as I heard on the news this morning.

See here

The highest peak on Bodmin Moor is named as Brown Willy and a campaign has begun to return this peak to its original Cornish name of Bronn Wennili.


http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/02/98/029850_499ab1f5.jpg


Apparently over the years the original Cornish name has been changed to Brown Willy, when this actually happened is uncertain although according to some local residents the peak has been known as Brown Willy for at least 50 years. I for one remember being an eager young Venture Scout reaching the top of Brown Willy.

The campaign to change the name has come about because according to some local residents Brown Willy has the 'giggle factor'. I can't imagine why!! The Cornish name, Bronn Wennili literally means Hill of Swallows. I guess anyone would struggle to giggle at that name...

This story gave me cause to look up one other amusing British place names. Here is a list of some of my favourites:

Beaver Close, Surrey

Bell End near Lickey End

Cockermouth, Cumbria

Fanny Hands Lane, Lincolnshire


Minge Lane, Worcestershire

Nob End, South Lancashire

Sandy Balls, Hampshire

Shitterton, Dorset

Titty Hill, Sussex

Obviously as a middle aged man I don't find these place names at all amusing but some of you might...

 

Comments

  1. I have a photo of me next to the sign that says Shitterton.
    Obviously being middle aged myself I didn't find this amusing either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed - my PhD is based around Brown Willy. I have to stand up in my viva and defend my position that Brown Willy was very important to Bronze Age man. Last month I had to take a bunch of students to Bodmin Moor and show them the amazing view from the tip of Brown Willy.

    The last thing I need is for them to change the name - I'll have to go back over my chapters and change it all the way through. Mind you - Brown Willy is next to Rough Tor - which can be pronounced 'Row Tor', 'Roaow Tor', or 'Rowter' (but never Ruff Tor)...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?