How does it stay up?

There are some phobias that I just don't really get, like for instance the fear of oranges, someone I met the other day claimed they had a fear of oranges...what is that about?

However, I do get that some people might be afraid of flying. I have flown with someone who has that fear and I certainly remember the pain in my arm as she grabbed it tight as we took off.

A plane is an amazing piece of engineering. Although it is only physics you feel like there must be a little bit of magic in it as well. I can understand how a lightweight glider can soar on the thermals rising from the land as the air is heated and creates large convection currents. I even get how a light aeroplane can fly carrying a cargo of four passengers but what about a 747?

These jumbo jets are enormous. They carry hundreds of passengers all of which have luggage in the hold and in the cabin. Squirrelled away in the centre of the plane and its wings are litres of heavy fuel that allow the plane to fly halfway across the world. On top of that are four huge engines that must weigh tonnes.

It's amazing that this beast can leave the ground, let alone reach a height of 35,000 feet and a speed of 450 miles per hour.

 

http://reniyoung.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bernoullis-principle.gif


When I was younger I was always told that the curved wings, forming an aerofoil were responsible for the lift the plane gets. The air moving over the wing has further to travel than underneath and this means it travels faster. The faster air has a lower pressure. This means the pressure under the wing is relatively higher providing the lift...Bernoulli's Principle.

Apparently though, this couldn't provide all the lift required. It's not the full story. To explain lift you also have to consider Newton's third law. It's complicated and I'm tired...I like sleeping on planes.

What and Ever. It works. The plane stays in the air as long as the wing doesn't fall off. Have you seen how much they flex? Now that is worrying!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?