When is it time for Christmas songs.

At work, in the office we have the radio playing. It plays one of the London music radio stations. Day to day, hour by hour the playlist appears not to be too different. In fact I think if you listened to the station continuously over the day it would be like listening to the latest NOW album on shuffle.

Over the last few days though a disturbing change has occurred. Every so often a Christmas song has crept into the playlist. As Christmas is still 5 weeks away this to my mind is a little premature.

I guess I can handle those pseudo Christmas songs. Those that are played around Christmas time but are not specifically about Christmas, like for instance Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow. But today the pop song that embodies Christmas songs started to play, the oh so familiar tune started up without warning and then the lyrics,

"It was Christmas Eve babe. In the drunk tank..."

Recognise it? Of course, Fairytale of New York, The Pogues. This song means Christmas. I couldn't help but stand there with a look of incredulity on my face, by brain becoming nebulous as I processed what I was hearing. Surely it's too soon? I get that supermarkets are having to push their Christmas products. I get that Christmas decorations are up in the high street to tempt us in to buy early Christmas presents. What I don't get is the need to play Christmas songs in mid November.

Radio stations listen up, "Playing Christmas songs in November will not make me listen more to your station. I fact we turned the radio off. It was the only thing to do. I will turn you back on once December starts."

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?