Grange Hill

My mum used to stop me watching Grange Hill. For some reason she thought that it was a little subversive. Maybe she thought that I might become a bit of a school drop out like Tucker or indeed a heroin addict like Zammo, or maybe I might eat too much chocolate and end up fat like that fat kid, Roland was it?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/GHTITLES78-87.jpg

When you look back at Grange Hill I try to think if it was realistic, did it really represent the British comprehensives of the early eighties?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JI83qg3Bo

It always seemed that the students of Grange Hill were either running around the streets on some cross country run, whilst Mr Baxter stood watching and shouting, or they were hanging out in be playground. I don't recall much learning going on.

I remember when I first found out that up in North East London there is actually a place called Grange Hill, its on the tube map. I always wanted to go when I was a kid, to ride the tube there, just to say I had been to Grange Hill. Now I'm a middle aged adult I still haven't made it.

I wonder how Grange Hill would be viewed now if it was re-run on the CBBC channel. Would it be considered hard hitting, would it make it past the modern day Mary Whitehouse censors.

I used to go round my friends house to watch Grange Hill, that ban was easy to circumnavigate, just don't tell my Mum.

Comments

  1. Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you provide here and can't wait to
    take a look when I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even
    using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, very good blog!

    my page ... naturalgreencoffeereview.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?