Apple the new Windows?

I first used a word processor during my third year at university. I had to write my extended research project and to do that I decided that I would use a computer program.

This was 1993 so the PC was in its infancy. An early version of Windows was loaded on to the big clunky machines sporting just 256 colours and residing within that operating system was the ancestor of Microsoft Office; Word 2.0c. I battled through with the technology learning how to use it, and having to save my work to flimsy floppy disks but it was this early introduction and the use of the fledging help menu that enabled me to become a proficient end user of these types of programmes. I also learnt that treating a PC well helps it perform. Stroking a PC in a loving, soothing way as it performs its calculations helps it to speed through them sooner; of this I am sure.

http://metadiary.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/vintage-computer1.jpg

As I have used Windows based computers for 20 years they feel comfortable, I know where I am with them and most of the time I can live with their failings.

It is these failings that Apple users like to point out to support their arguments for Mac over a PC. There are three main everyday arguments:

1. A PC takes ages to turn on

2. A PC can catch a virus a Mac cannot

3. A PC is always undertaking Windows Updates, meaning it takes ages to shut down, is always asking for a system shutdown and invariably hangs as it says, 'Please Wait Whilst Updates are Applied'

I agree these things make a PC annoying, sometimes very annoying.

I don't own a Mac, for me the argument is a good one, I would use one if it was properly compatible with the software I use for work. However, this is not the case.

I do however own some Apple products, my phone and my iPad. But lately something annoying has happened. As though the Windows issues are starting to inch their way in.

http://images.apple.com/support/assets/images/assistant/shared/updateappiphone.png

Every time I go to my phone it reveals that at least three of my Apps need updating. Usually these updates are insignificant. An example being, 'a fix that allows the App to work properly in Japanese'. Ok this is important for the Japanese but not for me. Today I received 7 notifications of App updates, none were of any significance.


Ok. I hear what you are saying, I can choose whether I update or not. Yes I do otherwise my phone indicates with an annoying little number how many updates are pending.

Before I know it my phone will catch a cold too...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?