Are You a Cat or a Dog Person?

This question is one that has been posed many a time.  It can be asked in a frivolous Facebook type of question or asked in a serious job interview. I guess the validity of the second example depends upon the position applied for.  If you were interviewing for a position as a financial director of an investment bank then it would be, to say the least, a bit odd. However, if you were interviewing for a position at the local Pets R Us, then then in this case it might be a reasonable line of enquiry. 

Are YOU a dog or cat person? 

It is a deeply personal question. 

It is a question that perhaps divides the nation. It can be a dangerous question to ask on a first date, but I would bet good money that more than likely a discussion about pets comes up during this occasion. It is a make or break question. The answer could result in the date ending in a ‘would you like to come back to mine for coffee and to see my...cat’ (even I have to keep these blogs decent) or ‘let’s get the bill and never see each other again!’

When I was growing up we had a dog, which I don’t remember, but from the stories I have been told it would appear to be the most disobedient but loyal dog ever. Following the dogs death three cats, one of which was born as a kitten that I was lucky enough to keep - I won’t tell you his name as you might crack one of my memorable answers, ‘What was the name of your first pet?’  What I will mention about him was that he was the best hunter of grey squirrels. He killed nearly all these creatures in the neighbourhood, devouring them entirely but leaving their tails like some trophy keeping serial killer. 

Then we had a dog, a black and tan dachshund. A fab dog who was never the same after being kicked during a burglary. Following that hideous event leaving her paralysed for a few weeks no unknown visitor to the house received a friendly welcome. I believe that Her Majesty’s Post Office was close to blacklisting the house. 

We have a dog now. Another dachshund. He is fabulous. The most gentle loving dog. As I write this he is currently sitting at my feet waiting to come up into the sofa for a cuddle. I can literally feel his eyes boring into me.  In the morning he greets us with a bow and a smile. He picks up a stick on a walk and encourages us to chase him and whenever we leave the house he gets up to join us. When I get home for work he wuffs at me until he engaged be in a playful game. He is one of the family. Incidentally I have given in and he is now on my lap with his chin resting on my leg. 

What about cats I hear you ask?  This week my friends cat went out for a walk, hunt, lady cat time, whatever they do. Then didn’t come back that night. Or the next. Or the next. Or the next.  During that time my friend couldn’t think straight.  He was filled with worry. He knocked on his neighbours doors asking them to check their sheds. No luck. 
Then he turned up. Walked straight in, purred and ate food then walked out again. 

Charming. 

I wouldn’t stand for it. 

That is why I’m a dog person. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?