Early Morning in North London

When people ask me where I live and I tell them London they think mostly of busy, traffic filled streets with crime on every corner. What people don’t consider are the small village areas punctuated by parks, wild spaces and woods, the varied and diverse culture that is on offer bringing with it interesting food shops, restaurants and people, convenient and cheap transport options and the buzz of living in arguably the greatest city in the world. 

Ok, I admit it can be busy but it depends on where you are going. Since the lockdown the roads have been much quieter and even as easing as occurred the traffic has not been at the levels that it was before. Areas of central London can be touristy and this equals busy. You may have to queue for a tube and stand shoulder to shoulder taking in the aromas of your fellow passengers once on it but this is the price to pay for having so many lovely things right on your doorstep. 

Just like any city though if you arrive at the right time you can have it to yourself - everything might be closed - but there is some kind of beauty in the deserted nature of the place. 

This morning I took a cycle ride from my house around North London cycling up through Hampstead down to Regent’s Park, along their canal to Camden and then back home through Hornsey and a disused railway line to Highgate and then back. Just a gentle 20km and to be fair not horrendously early either.  Although I must add that my gentle bike ride is nothing like some of those serious bike riders on a Sunday morning that whizz past me on the way to completing a 100km ride before breakfast. 

By the time I had worked by way up to Hampstead the high street was still empty, by lunch time a large queue of people (socially distanced) would be forming to get their mouths round the world famous crepes. 

Down the hill into Regent’s Park and on to the canal I would have this stretch of London all to myself later this will be packed with runners, families walking their dogs and other cyclists. 







Then a few 100m along the canal I reached Camden Lock and the market. At the weekend this is one of the busiest areas in London packed for of the young and trendy types eating street food, drinking beer, getting tattoos and purchasing vintage clothing. But at twenty five past eight on a Sunday morning it is deserted. 


























After working my way steadily back up the incline towards Muswell Hill. I was able to find a nice viewing point above the rooftops to look back towards the city    The only thing missing from this view is the sea...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?