In Hot Water!

As I write these words today I am reflecting on the fact that Ed and his Vogers should have been returning from a holiday on the Greek Island of Kefalonia. If you haven’t been then this island is a must, it is still fairly quiet and undisturbed by the party atmosphere that can inhabit those parts of the world. The food everywhere is deliciously simple, fresh and homemade. I have never found grilled sea bass better anywhere else I have eaten it. The pace of life is relaxed and good service can be found everywhere. 

The real gem regarding this particular Ionian island is its coastline.  You can find a beach to suit every member of the family from gentle shallow warm waters to the crashing coastline of one of the top 10 beaches in the world. 


It is a place that you can see I hold dearly in my heart. This year was to not be. Even though as a family we were the most organised we could have been in this post-pandemic era our holiday had to go by the wayside. Of course in hindsight we would have been able to have gone. Currently Greece remains open with no restrictions governing quarantine. Although at the time of writing I see that this could change imminently with new cases being seen in the country. However due to uncertainty and a huge potential cost without getting the holiday we expected, with heavy hearts, we cancelled the trip. 

Today’s convoluted script is not, however, about missing holidays or seeking sympathy from those of you that have read this far. What has transpired is that the immediate Vogue family have found ourselves for the first time the most spread out we have ever been. We are all doing our own things for reasons I will not bore you with here. Safe to say everyone is having a great time doing what they are doing. 

I’ve made it to the beach with my eldest son. We have lucked out and some dear friends have allowed us the use of their beachside flat. When I say beachside I literally mean on the beach. The tide is currently in and the sea is gently lapping away a mere 10 meters from the window. As well as being so close to the water the country is experiencing a hot spot. The temperature again today is over 30 degrees so it feels very much like we are hanging out in Greece. We have spent most of the day by on in the sea but have had to retreat from the temperatures and the ineffectiveness of our suntan lotion. 

After all that preamble I want to leave this entry with a question.  This enquiry has been formed due to a common observation that I make when ever gingerly entering the sea in England.  I note that there are always colder areas of water and warmer areas of water. Why is this?  I used to be told as a kid that this is because the fish wee!  This is as unsatisfactory as the reason why the moon looks bigger lower in the sky.  If you google today’s query you find answers about thermoclines and mixing of currents and volcanic activity. I’m not asking about these large geographical events. 

So, why when you walk a foot to the left the sea feels like a bath and a foot to the right it feels like you have placed your entire body in a bucket of ice?

Answers on a postcard please - well I am on holiday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sparkly bathroom prevented by natural chemical equilibria

Polka dot, 7 inches, 15 minutes, luke warm

What's Your Station?